Research Areas & Staff
Professor Dermot McAleese
About the IIEA China Group:
In 2007, the Institute of International and European Affairs (IIEA) established a China Group to examine the re-emergence of China on the world stage and the challenges and opportunities that this presents for the European Union and the world.
The focus of this group is on EU-China relations, examining a wide range of policies including economic, political and socio-cultural, trade relations, domestic Chinese politics and China’s relationship with regional partners and the European Union through such organisations as the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), ASEAN +3, the Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) and the United Nations. The group assesses the impact that various EU policy initiatives and developments have both on Ireland’s bilateral relationship with China and the broader EU-China relationship.
To view upcoming China group events click here.
Previous IIEA China group events:
- 8 March 2011 – China 2011-2015: A New Generation of Leaders and a New Five –Year Plan, Dr. Kerry Brown, Director, Asia Programme, Chatham House
- 29 October 2010 – New Structural Economics, Dr. Justin Yifu Lin, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of the World Bank
- 29 September 2010 – The Geopolitics of China, H.E. Declan Kelleher, Irish Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China
- 6 July 2010 – EU-China Trade: Future Opportunities and Ongoing Challenges, Dr Peter Balas, Deputy Director General, DG Trade, European Commission
- 30 April 2010 - Possible Implications for the World of Japan’s New Government, Professor Karel van Wolferen, Author and Emeritus Professor of Comparative Political and Economic Institutions at the University of Amsterdam
- 31 March 2010 – China – Leading the World Again, Dr. Eddie O’Connor, Founder and CEO of Mainstream Renewable Energy and Founder and former CEO of Airtricity
- 18 January 2010 – Outward Investment by Chinese Companies, Duncan Freeman, Research Fellow at the Brussels Institute of Contemporary China Studies (BICCS)
- 23 September 2009 - Roundtable on EU-China Summit 2009, Dr. Francois Godement, European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR) & Mr. Franz Jessen, Head of China Unit, DG RELEX, European Commission
- 20 March 2009 - Nationalism in China, Dr. Minxin Pei, China Programme, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington D.C.
- 5 December 2008 - The 7th Asia-Europe Meeting 2008 - Vision and Action: Towards a Win-Win Solution, Geoffrey Barrett, Advisor on Multilateral Relations with Asia, European Commission
- 13 November 2008 - Observations on the Political, Economic and Cultural changes in China, Conor O’Clery, former Irish Times Foreign Correspondent in Beijing
- 18-19 September 2008 – The Energy Sustainability Challenge: Fuelling Cooperation Between Asia and Europe, 6th Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) Environment Forum, Farmleigh House, Dublin, co-hosted with the IIEA
- 15 May 2008 - China’s Security Policy, General Xiong Guangkai, Chairman of the China Institute for International Strategic Studies (CIISS)
- 13 February 2008 - China’s Resource Acquisition Policy, Dr. Eddie O’Connor, Founder and former CEO Airtricity
- 8 February 2008 - The EU-China Trade Relationship, David O’Sullivan, Director General for Trade, European Commission
- 25 January 2008 - The 17th Chinese Communist Party Congress, Dr. Kerry Brown, Asia Programme, Chatham House
- 10 September 2007 – IIEA China group roundtable discussion with Irish Ambassador to China, H.E. Declan Kelleher
- 17 July 2007 - IIEA China group roundtable discussion with Stanley Crossick, Director and Founding Chairman of the European Policy Centre (EPC)
- 19 June 2006 – IIEA Conference on the Rise of China, Peter Sutherland, former Attorney General of Ireland and EU Commissioner & Chris Horn, founder and former CEO, Iona Technologies and former Chairman, Irish Management Institute