Research Areas & Staff
Future of Europe Group
Researcher: Aislinn Dwyer
The purpose of this group is to monitor and analyse political and institutional developments in Europe and to consider their implications for Ireland and for the EU itself. The Group’s work is currently focused on the evolving institutional dynamics in the post-Lisbon environment and the effects of the Euro crisis on the decision-making structures of the EU.
The Group also examines a wide range of European policy domains (including CAP, the EU multiannual budget, fisheries, and the single market) and tracks priorities and policy developments under each rotating Presidency. In addition, the Group provides a forum for discussing the European policies of the EU’s 27 Member States.
Recent speakers on the Future of Europe theme at the IIEA include:
· Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council
· Jerzy Buzek, President of the European Parliament
· Catherine Day, Secretary General of the European Commission
· David O’Sullivan, COO of the European External Action Service
· Peter Sutherland, Chairman of Goldman Sachs International
· Eamon Gilmore TD, An Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade
· Lászlo Andor, European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion
· Viktor Orban, Hungarian Prime Minister
· Maria Damanaki, European Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries