Oireachtas EU Referendum Sub-Committee18 Apr 2012
On 5 April, IIEA Chairman, Brendan Halligan, appeared before a newly-established Oireachtas EU Referendum Sub-Committee. He spoke about the implications of the Treaty for Ireland and Europe, recalling that economic co-operation between the countries of Europe is the cement that binds them together politically. A paper prepared by Mr. Halligan in advance of his presentation to the sub-committee is available in the blog section of the website.
In advance of the referendum on the Fiscal Treaty, scheduled for 31 May 2012, the Oireachtas Joint Committee on European Affairs established an EU Referendum Sub-Committee. The sub-committee is in the process of holding exchanges with prominent experts from Ireland and abroad during an intensive series of meetings, beginning on 3 April. The views and information collected will inform a report from the sub-committee to be published in advance of the referendum.
The sub-committee’s consideration of the Treaty is divided into a number of themes: Views on the Treaty from Across the EU; the Reaction of Irish Society to the Treaty; and the Realities of What the Treaty Means for Ireland: Understanding the Facts. Under each theme, politicians, civil society leaders, academics and diplomats were invited to address the sub-committee and to answer questions from Irish TDs, Senators and MEPs.The sub-committee sessions continue this week. More information, including transcripts, presentations and committee news are available on the website of the Oireachtas.
- Irish EU Presidency and IIEA host conference on Western Balkans
- IIEA Paper cited in The Times
- IIEA Seminar on EU-Japan Relations
- IIEA marks 50th anniversary of the Élysée Treaty
- Job: Motion Graphic Designer/Graphic and Multimedia Designer
- IIEA Brussels Branch 20th Anniversary Dinner
- Change of time – Isabella Lövin event
- IIEA Jobs: Researcher/Policy Analyst Position Available
- IIEA selected for European Parliament framework partnership
- Irish Times Covers IIEA Justice Publication
- Brendan Halligan address at the Parnell summer school
- Major Conference on Exiting the Crisis
- Vote on Stability Treaty Crucial for Energy Financing
- Managing Director of the Institute of International Finance, Washington DC, to speak at IIEA
- The IIEA launches "Stability Treaty" web page